Adult Tobacco Use
|Adults in Minnesota who smoke||14.4% (643,200)|
|Adult smoking rate (Nationally):||15.1%|
We know the importance on continued tobacco cessation programming as well as our tobacco prevention programming throughout the state.
Youth Tobacco Use
|Minnesota high school students who smoke||10.6% (30,100)|
|Minnesota high school students who use e-cigarettes||12.9%|
|Minnesota kids (<18) who become new daily smokers each year||2,500|
Nearly 95% of addicted smokers start by the time they turn 21. Young people are aggressively targeted by Big Tobacco to become replacement customers for those that their products are killing. The tobacco industry targets young people with fruit, candy and menthol flavoring, plus advertising, product design and packaging, and event sponsorship and promotions.
- Youth Tobacco Fast Facts
- 77,000 Kids in MN are current tobacco users
- 50% of MN teen smokers have tried to quit
- 80% of teen smokers become adult smokers despite intending to quit after a few years
- Ultimately, 118,000 of today’s Minnesota kids will die from smoking
- Flavored tobacco products mask the harshness of tobacco making it easier to start using
- Youth are more likely to use tobacco products if they are flavored and if youth are frequently exposed to tobacco ads, including in stores.
- The adolescent brain is negatively impacted by nicotine, and its long-term effects are a significant public health concern.