Updating Tobacco Licensing Ordinances:
Many communities in Central Minnesota have not updated their tobacco licensing ordinance to include updated requirements of state policy. Crave the Change would like to support communities in making these updates and exploring what other strategies would be a good fit for tobacco prevention in their community. Ordinance updates protect the youth and future of one’s community.
The retail environment is an important area that can support the reduction of tobacco’s harm. Local point-of-sale strategies enhance state tobacco control efforts in the following ways:
- Decrease tobacco use and impulse purchases of harmful products
- Reduce tobacco related health disparities
- Counter the amount of dollars being spent on marketing by the tobacco industry
- Increase community awareness of tobacco industries practices
- Communicate health information
- Improve compliance with tobacco control strategies.
Crave the Change has the capacity to support municipalities in Central Minnesota with drafting or updating licensing ordinances, education, and implementation of passed policies.
Click on image to view the full PDF of policy options regarding tobacco prevention.